Thursday, July 24, 2008

Machu Picchu

Ninety-seven years ago today, Hiram Bingham discovered Machu Picchu, the lost Incan mountaintop city.

Common belief is that Machu Picchu was a getaway for Incan royalty. A little respite from the day-to-day, humdrum routine of corporate Peruvian life.

Memphis's own Machu Piccu is the Gulf Coast of Florida, Mississippi and Alabama, with its white sand beaches and copious Budweiser. My people and I just spent a week at this sea level retreat and I had a little something to say about it in my column, "Because I Said So," over at The Commercial Appeal.

4 comments:

Mrs. Katherine said...

Really good column.

Stacey Greenberg said...

jiro totally knows how to get a beer out of the fridge and squeeze a lime in it. totally.

aggatn said...

I have been a blog lurker for a while, and I just love yours. This week's CA column (like much of your writing) made me laugh out loud....more than once. Thanks.

Chris said...

Great article. But you still can't get me to read Wendy Thomas...haha

Chris