Thursday, October 12, 2006

Real Bad Hurt

I returned home from work this evening to face one of the many fears that a parent harbors - my daughter was injured. When I dropped S off at school this morning she was fine, well, as fine as S can be at 8:20 in the morning. But she was undamaged and that's what is important. It seems that at some point during the day she was dancing around and fell, hitting her teeth on a chair. Her teeth seem to be okay, they hurt, but aren't loose and she still has them all in her head. Her upper lip, however, looks as though it's gone a few rounds in a middleweight fight. It's all swollen on the inside, making it protrude out like there's an orange rind stuck up in there.

As difficult as this is to see, a hurt child, what I read regarding the injury was almost as painful to my brain. The adults running the program she's in - this daycare that prefers to refer to itself as a Pre-School - write up an Incident Report when one of their wards has an accident. This is what was written there:

S and Kevin was dancing around to the music and she tripped and hit her mouth on the chair.

Colloquialism I get. I realize that conversational speech will bend the rules a little. I understand, too, that people take short cuts with E-mail and instant messaging and text messaging. But when you're putting something in writing to the parents of a child you're supposed to be educating, shouldn't you double-check things like subject-verb agreement? I think so.

I feel bad for S, especially after sitting with her all evening while she cried about her teeth hurting, but my heart also aches a little for simple English grammar, which was dealt a blow to the teeth as well today.

6 comments:

aunt katherine said...

Not the teeth!

Stephanie said...

I have received many accident reports in the past three years, and rarely do they contain correct grammar. I prefer to believe that the trauma of seeing my child injured renders a teacher unable to spell/conjugate verbs/write in complete sentences.

Shannon said...

We got many of these at FLICC and although the grammer was always great the incidents left us laughing (he usually had recovered by the time I got him). We saved them. I can't lay my hands on one now, but one said something like--L snuck up on M and bit him on the back. That one wasn't so funny in the concrete, but seeing it written out left us rolling.

Secret Agent Mom said...

Aww. Poor little verb.

Laura said...

Ohhhh, Feeling bad for S & her lip! Any arnica around the house? Does wonders for our (many - many) ugly bumps to the mouth.

Stacey Greenberg said...

why must you make me laugh at your child's pain? why?